Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Necklace by Guy De Maupassant

"The Necklace" by Guy De Maupassant, I felt was very humorous and entertaining. I thought the story gave a great demonstration of how material items can't buy happiness but can only sustain a feeling of luxury for a small period of time. This is shown by Mathilde who spends so much time convincing herself that possessions only have value if they are expensive that she loses sight of the real value of things. The shame that Mathilde feels about her own financial and social status is something that many people can understand and I believe relates greatly to today's time. I know personally that I deal with this problem on a day to day basis. I would recommend this story to others.

1 comment:

J OBrien said...

Wonderful response. Great job analyzing instead of just summarizing.